Rescuing A Landmark
On The Santa Fe Trail
Built by Abraham and Mary Rawlinson, this 1861 stone home was the last house freighters passed leaving Council Grove heading West on the Santa Fe Trail, as late as 1863. This house stands strong and proud and is the second oldest home and the oldest stone home remaining alongside the Santa Fe Trail in Kansas.
In contrast, this stone home stood sad and forlorn in 1993. It had fallen into disrepair, and was up for sale.
By 1994 it was up for sale for a second time and was in danger of being bulldozed down. A tree had fallen against it and it was surrounded by trash and tall weeds.
From childhood Shirley McClintock had loved learning about anything historic. Taking pity on this sorry-looking structure, she began to seek out anyone she could think of, who might have the interest and finances to save this old building from demolition. No one wanted to take on this monumental task. So, with a heavy heart she took a walk around the house and seeing some dates cut into the stone wall, she asked herself, "What secrets lie hidden in this stone structure". She prayed to the God above, and during that prayer, she became convinced in her heart that she could not live with herself if she did not try to save this place. She determined to call upon her list of people and suggested that if they would not save this house--would they help her save it.
Shirley convinced her lawyer husband to do the legal work to form a non-profit organization titled "Historic Preservation Corporation". She rounded up a few board members and collected enough contributions for a down payment and just enough financial commitments each month to satisfy the owners. Thus began a long and difficult journey to save the Rawlinson-Terwilliger Home and all of Maple Camp that had survived to that point in time.